From Food Waste to House Plant: Pineapple
By: Luke Fish (Farm Intern) & Kaitlyn Dykstra (Farm Manager)
How to Start a Pineapple Plant:
- Remove the crown of the pineapple with a knife, or by a twisting motion.
- Clean off excess fruit from the base of the crown.
- You should be able to see small brown dots on the bottom, if not, carefully use a knife to trim down the end until you can see the dots.
6. Insert 3 to 4 toothpicks around the perimeter of the stem, at a distance appropriate for the container of water you are using. Or use a jar with a narrow opening so the crown will stay at the top.
7. Place the crown in water such that the leafy portion is above the water, while the stem is submerged.